At Innovation Lab, students will explore their passions while identifying their adult purpose. Innovation Lab is a place where students and teachers alike will investigate new ways to engage in critical thinking, collaborate around interdisciplinary projects and share their learning with others. Innovation Lab High School students and teachers will co-construct learning as students prepare for success in career, college, and life.
- Choice school
- Classes began virtually in September 2020
- In 2020, 200 students each in grades 9 and 10
- By 2022, students in grades 9 thru 12
- Teacher/student ratio that matches existing district model for high schools
- Located at 2020 224th St SE, Bothell, WA 98021
Innovation Lab will use the Expeditionary Learning model. One of the central features of Expeditionary Learning is the concept of Crew: an advisory and mutual support network that will form the backbone of Innovation Lab High School’s culture. Expeditionary Learning also emphasizes the skills of collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity.
Innovation Lab will eventually explore the possibilities of moving beyond “classes” and “bells” as they have traditionally been used. In the near term, we believe it is important to begin our evolution from a structure that is still familiar to most students and families. Curriculum materials at Innovation Lab will be the same as all other high schools. Interdisciplinary coursework and project-based learning will be featured at Innovation Lab High School. Teachers will create common opportunities across courses for students to identify and study complex problems from a variety of perspectives.
Students interested in Running Start will be better served at their home area high school. The deep learning that will be part of Innovation Lab High School’s Expeditionary Learning model promotes high performance. Students at similar schools in other parts of the country access and are highly successful on Advanced Placement exams, despite not being formally enrolled in “AP” versions of classes. Based on this success in other Expeditionary Learning schools, Innovation Lab students will be encouraged to take AP exams in their areas of interest. Formal AP courses may be offered in the future based on student demand.
Innovation Lab High School students will be fully prepared for post-secondary life whether they choose 2-year or 4-year colleges, vocational programs, military enlistment or entrepreneurship.
Students interested in attending Innovation Lab High School will register in the spring at the high school they are scheduled to attend or are currently attending. Students will submit an interest form for Innovation Lab. If interest exceeds available spots, a lottery will be held.
Students requiring district transportation will ride a bus to their local area high school, then transfer to a bus for Innovation Lab High School. After school, they will ride a bus to their local area middle school and transfer at the middle school to their assigned bus home. Students who can drive will be able to drive and park at Innovation Lab.
Innovation Lab students who want to participate in traditional high school athletics will be able to do so through their home area high school. Clubs and activities at Innovation Lab High School will be responsive to student interest.
- Demographics that represent Northshore School District and inclusion of all students
- Open learning spaces
- Collaborative and quiet work spaces
- Cafeteria with hot and cold food delivered
- Classes based on curriculum, with interdisciplinary connections / exploration of ideas
- Visual and performing arts options
- Public celebrations of learning
- “Push-In” support for students with IEPs, 504s and English Language Learner needs
- Support for Highly Capable students through personalized learning plans, Project-Based Learning, and rigorous coursework
- Activities & clubs based on student interest
- Large full-service cafeteria
- Extensive school library collection
- Facilities to support large performing arts groups
- Traditional science lab facilities
- Extensive list of elective courses
- Traditional PE
- Athletic teams
- Assemblies in a gym or stadium
- Pep rallies
We have opened the application process to current 8th graders who will enter the 9th grade in fall of 2021.
Current 9th graders can also apply by using the district's transfer forms.
Please visit our Apply page for all the details and links to the applications and forms!